Problem: It is impossible to update the Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. – Display driver via Windows Update, and you get the Install error 0x800f024b, so you cannot install the latest AMD drivers.
Cause: This issue seems directly related to Windows Update, and you won’t have it if you try to install your Advanced Micro Devices display driver manually. To fix this issue:
- Enter Device Manager on Windows Search and click on Open:
- Expand Display Adapters and right-click on your AMD device then select Properties:
- On the driver tab, click on Update Driver:
- On “how do you want to search for drivers”, select Browse my computer for drivers:
- Click on the Browse button next to search for drivers in this location:
- Then browse for the following location then click on Next:
(If you cannot find the Advanced Micro Devices Display driver in this folder, try C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution.old\Download)
- In this folder, you will see every Windows Update driver and installer; select the most recent Advanced Micro Devices Inc. – Display, then update your driver.
(It is important that you downloaded the driver before via Windows Update and had the install error, or else you won’t find the driver here.)
Another alternative to fix this issue is downloading the AMD drivers from the manufacturer’s website or trying to troubleshoot Windows Update.
(If you often get the error “The version of AMD Radeon Software you have launched is not compatible with your currently installed AMD Graphics driver,” I’ve written an article on how to fix this.)
How to Install the Advanced Micro Devices Inc. – Display from the Manufacturer’s Website
You can also manually install the driver by downloading it right from the manufacturer’s website.
To do this:
- Enter Device Manager on Windows Search and click on Open.
- Expand Display Adapters and note what is the version of your AMD display adapter:
- Go to AMD’s official Drivers and Support page and under select your product from the list, choose your graphics card series, then click on Submit:
- Download the right version according to your Operating System on the next page.
- After downloading it, run the executable, and your driver will be updated.
(You can also use a third-party driver updater to update all of your drivers at once, to learn more, check the article I’ve written on it.)
How to Install the Advanced Micro Devices Inc. – Display Driver by Fixing Windows Update
If you still want to install the Advanced Micro Devices Inc. – Display by Windows Update, you can try to fix Windows Update by:
- Running the Windows Update troubleshooter via Windows Settings
- Rename the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 folders via Command Prompt
How to Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Enter Settings on Windows Search and click on Open:
- On the left sidebar click on System, then click on Troubleshoot:
- On Troubleshoot, click on Other Troubleshooters:
- Then click on Run next to Windows Update:
Follow the wizard and later check if the install error is gone.
How to Fix Windows Update via Command Prompt
- Type Command Prompt on Windows Search, then click on Run as Administrator:
- Then run the following commands one by one to stop all Windows Update related services:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- After this, run the following two commands to rename the SoftwareDistribution and catroot 32 folders:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- Then restart the Windows Update related services by running the following commands:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Reboot your PC.
The Advanced Micro Devices Inc. – Display install error is caused by Windows Update, so an easy solution is to install it manually, as explained at the beginning of this article. You can also download the driver installer from AMD’s official website.
Another option is to run the Windows Update troubleshooter to try to fix any issues with it or run the command prompt commands listed above in order.
If clicking on 3D display on display settings crashes your video driver, check out my article on how to fix the 3D Display Mode crashes video driver in Windows.