Nowadays, Pinterest dominates Google Images search results, but many of us wish for a Pinterest-free image search. Many users don’t know that it is easy to block Pinterest from Google Search Results.
Here is how to block Pinterest from Google Search results using a great Chrome extension called uBlacklist:
- Download uBlacklist in Chrome Web Store (there is also a Firefox version on Firefox Browser Add-Ons) and install it:
- Right-click on the uBlacklist icon on your browser and select options:
- Under “Sites blocked from appearing in Google search results,” enter the following:
- Click on save.
Now Pinterest will completely disappear from Google search results. If you want to revert this anytime, delete the code you entered in step 3.
(If your search engine keeps changing to Bing, I’ve written an article to tell you how to fix it.)
Another alternative way to block Pinterest (or any website) from appearing in search results is to open Pinterest directly, then click on the uBlacklist icon on your browser and click on the Block button.
(If the site is already blocked, it will show the Unblock option.)
uBlacklist is not the only browser extension capable of blocking Pinterest. You can exclude Pinterest from Google search results if you already run uBlock Origin to block ads.
How to Exclude Pinterest from Google Search Results using uBlock Origin
The uBlock Origin browser is not only a powerful adblocker, but you can also block websites from search results by creating a filter.
Here is how to do it:
- Download uBlock Origin in the Chrome Web Store (there is also a Firefox version) and install it.
- Right-click on the uBlock Origin icon on Chrome and select options.
- Go to My Filters.
- Now click on the text box and paste the following code:
! Pinterest Results on Google
- Click on Apply Changes.
Now Pinterest will completely disappear from Google Search results. If you want to revert this anytime, delete the code you entered in step 4.
If you don’t want to install Chrome extensions, you can also block Pinterest directly on Chrome, but there are some shortcomings, as explained below.
How to Block Pinterest from Google Image Searches Without a Plugin
It is also possible to block Pinterest in Chrome (or any Chromium browser) settings.
The drawbacks to this choice are that it works only for searches made in your browser address bar and blocks pinterest.com, but not other variants like pinterest.de.
With this in mind, this is how to do it in Chrome browser settings:
- Click on the three dots in the upper-right corner of Chrome, then click on Settings.
- Now search for manage search engines and site search and select the result:
- Browse down to site search and click on the Add button:
- Go to URL with %s in place of query and enter the following:
- Click on Save.
- Now click on the three dots next to the created site search and select make default:
Now you won’t see Pinterest results anymore on Google Images.
There are three simple ways to block Pinterest from Google Search results. The best one is simply using the uBlacklist extension, opening Pinterest, clicking on the uBlacklist icon, and selecting Block.
If you already use uBlock Origin, you can also add a filter on uBlock Origin to exclude Pinterest, as explained at the beginning of this article.
If you don’t want to install any Chrome extensions, the alternative is to block Pinterest on Chrome settings by adding a Query URL to apply whenever you make a Google search.
It is also advantageous to block Quora and Youtube Channels from search results to further improve your search results.
But if you want to disable web results from Windows search, check how to disable web results in Windows 11.