After a certain Windows Update, many Fortnite players have been getting the Bad Image 0xc0000428 error message when attempting to launch the game.
Epic Games claims it is an issue with Windows, and so far, no one can pinpoint the exact cause of this issue, but in this article, I will show you some fixes that worked.
Before you try anything else, make sure to uninstall and reinstall your Nvidia graphics drivers because Windows Update often installs the wrong drivers.
Here is how to do it:
- Enter Control Panel on Windows Search and click on Open:
- Change the Control Panel view to Category.
- Under Programs, click on Uninstall a program:
- Right-click on every Nvidia component (such as GeForce Experience, NVIDIA PhysX, NVIDIA Graphics Drivers) and click on Uninstall:
- Restart your PC.
- Go to NVIDIA driver download page, then download and install the right drivers for your device.
- After installing, reboot your PC.
If this didn’t work, keep reading the article.
(If you cannot play Minecraft because you can’t set up a profile name in Minecraft: Java Edition, I’ve written an article on why this happens and how to fix it.)
How to Fix Fortnite 0xc0000428 Error by Running SFC Scannow
Another possible fix is to try to run the sfc scannow command to fix corrupted files in your system and then install Fortnite again. Just follow the steps below:
- Uninstall Fortnite from your PC by clicking on the Start Button -> All Apps -> then right-click on Fortnite and click on Uninstall.
(I recommend you uninstall it with IObit Uninstaller to make sure you removed every trace of it.)
- Now on Windows Search, enter Command Prompt and Run as Administrator:
- In the command prompt, type the command below and press Enter:
- Now, wait while Windows scan your system files and replace the corrupted files.
- After the scan is over, reinstall Fortnite.
How to Fix Fortnite 0xc0000428 Error by deleting mdnsNsp.dll
If you have the Bonjour app installed on your PC, you can fix this issue by deleting the mdnsNsp.dll, which is not essential for Windows and often causes problems. This is how to do it:
- Launch the Run dialog by pressing the Windows key + R. Type msconfig, and press Enter:
- In System Configuration, go to the Boot tab and check Safe boot:
- Click on Apply, then reboot your PC.
- Your PC will restart in safe mode. Now go to C:\Program Files\Bonjour and delete mdnsNsp.dll.
- Now go to the path where Fortnite is installed:
- Open EasyAntiCheat_Setup.exe and click on Repair.
- Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog, type msconfig, and press Enter.
- In System Configuration, go to the Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot.
- Restart your PC.
So far, it is unknown what is causing the Fortnite Bad Image 0xc0000428 error message, but it seems that it is happening after a Windows Update.
Windows Update causes many problems by installing the wrong drivers (such as the Lenovo Legion Dpc_Watchdog_Violation violation), so try to uninstall and install your NVIDIA drivers, as indicated at the beginning of this article.
Besides that, you can also try to uninstall, run the sfc /scannow command and then reinstall Fortnite.
If you have the Bonjour app installed, try deleting the mdnsNsp.dll, which often causes problems in Windows.
If your Xbox Gamebar capture is greyed out and you can’t record your gameplay, check the article I’ve written.