What is it? The Night Light mode helps users sleep better and reduce eye strain at night by reducing the blue light from the screen and gradually increasing the amount of yellow light to emulate the color change that happens naturally as the sun rises and sets.
However, many users claim that Night Light eye strain in daytime. Unfortunately, no setting in Windows 10 lets you have Night Light permanently on, but there are ways to get it done.
To keep Night Light always on, go to Settings > Display > Night light, and turn on Schedule night light, then under Set hour, set Turn on as 04:30 AM, and Turn off as 04:15 AM. If you want a more complete and customizable solution, install the F.Lux app.
The advantage of using the workaround on Windows settings is that you don’t need to install any third-party apps. However, I strongly recommend you try F.lux, since it has a “reduce eye strain” mode that you can always keep on.
Next, I will show you how to use both methods.
How to Keep Night Always On via Windows Settings
The process below is the same for Windows 10 and 11:
- Type night light on Windows search and click on Open:
- Under Schedule, toggle Schedule night light to On.
- Click on Set hour, then set Turn on as 04:30 AM, and Turn off as 04:15 AM:
This workaround bypasses the 24-hour limitations by keeping your night light on every time, except for the 15 minutes between 04:15 and 04:30 AM. You can adjust the time according to your sleeping time.
How to Keep Night Always On Using F.Lux
F.Lux is a light freeware that was developed specifically to help reduce eye strain, and it is much more complete than Windows Night Light due to the following reasons:
- It has a “reduce eye strain mode” that can always be kept on if needed.
- It automatically adjusts night light according to your current location’s sunrise and sunset times.
- Allows you to input your wake-up time to optimize the night light time according to your situation.
This is why F.Lux is one of the must-have software for Windows. Here is how to use it:
- Download F.lux on its official website and install it.
- After installing, select your location by inputting the name of your city, zip code, or location coordinate:
- After inputting your location, select your earliest wake time:
(So, if your wake-up time varies during the week, select the earliest you usually wake up. This will optimize the F.lux night light to your location and sleep pattern.)
- Now, F.lux will do the rest of the job and ensure that your PC always keeps the proper light.
If you want to reduce eye strain during the daytime, switch “Recommended Colors” in the top right corner of the f.lux interface to “Reduce Eyestrain”:
(To learn more about F.lux settings and understand how to adjust them, check this article on the best F.lux settings.)
Even though there is no way to keep night light mode always on in Windows 10/11, you can use the workaround we showed at the beginning of this article.
However, if you want to reduce eye strain, I recommend using F.lux, a simple yet more sophisticated software, to adjust your screen colors.
It is important to remember that besides other factors, such as your sleep pattern or the time of the day, you should adjust the color temperature of your screen according to your room lights.
If you want to know another software that improves Windows 10, try to check: How to Add Text and Arrows to Pictures on PC (The Easy Way.)
If your Weather Tile is missing, check my article on how to fix Weather tile missing in Windows 10.