In this article, I will tell you how to fix the high CPU usage of Windows Camera Frame Server when using video conference apps like Zoom or Google Meet on Lenovo ThinkPad laptops.
This happens due to a problem with Lenovo’s old Integrated Camera Driver. To fix it, we need to uninstall the old driver and install the latest one, Integrated Camera Driver.
Here is how to do it:
- Type Device Manager on Windows Search, then click Open:
- On the Device Manager, expand Imaging Devices or Cameras to find the Integrated Camera driver.
- Right-click on it and click on Uninstall device:
- Restart your PC.
- Download the latest Integrated Camera Driver on Lenovo’s official website:
- Run the installer to install the latest driver on your PC.
Now try to have a video call and check if the issue is fixed on the task manager.
(If you find multiple instances of Microsoft Teams running in Task Manager even when you are not running the program, you will find what you can do about it in my article on the topic.)
You can try the method below if you want a simpler way to update your Integrated Camera driver.
How to Fix Windows Camera Frame Server High CPU Usage with a Driver Updater
The advantage of using a Driver Updater to update your Lenovo ThinkPad camera driver is that it does all the processes for you and that you can simultaneously update all your device drivers at once.
- Download Driver Booster and install it.
- On Driver Booster, click the Scan button to scan outdated drivers on your PC.
- Now click on the Update button next to Integrated Camera.
(You can also click on the Update Now button on the right-upper corner to update all your drivers at once.)
The Windows Camera Frame Server’s high CPU usage on Lenovo ThinkPad laptops happens due to an outdated driver. So, it is not necessary to disable the Windows Camera Frame Server to fix this issue.
If you want to free up more CPU resources, check my article on how to turn off Windows Search Indexer to reduce CPU usage on the Task Manager.
If your camera is locked on Windows 11 Camera app and other video conference apps, check the article I’ve written on that.